Today, the public humiliation and taunting of bullying doesn't just occur in school. It follows kids everywhere they go through their cell phones and computer screens.
Bullying is a serious problem that can present very real dangers, ranging from low self-esteem to suicide. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, approximately 28% of students (ages 12-18) reported being bullied in school and 20% report that the bullying continues in cyberspace.
In the wake of many highly publicized bullycides, teens from across the nation are looking for ways to support each other and change these circumstances. Benni Cinkle is one of those teens, and in 2012 she launched a series of school visits introducing students, teachers, and administrators to her anti-bullying presentation "DON'T JUST STAND THERE." This no-cost, visual presentation teaches kids the roles they play when bullying happens. It focuses on the choices a victim has and also on the unharnessed power of the bystanders. Her powerful visual presentation sheds light on what to do and what not do in order to make the greatest difference.
Due to overwhelming requests from fans asking Benni to appear at their school, Benni held a contest to select five winners, whose schools will be included in the 2012 school visit.
Update - Oct. 14, 2011
Thank you to everyone that entered the School Tour contest! I had a very difficult time choosing the winners, so I am picking 6 winners instead of 5. Here they are:
- Samara Bradley - Friends Central School - Wynnewood, PA
- Hannah Dahlin - Falls High School - International Falls, MN
- Abby Goebig - Sterling High School - Sterling, IL
- Triston Gore - Clanton Middle School - Clanton, AL
- Corban Myers - Windward High School - Bellingham, WA
- Andrew Walsh - Holy Trinity Diocesan - Long Island, NY
Congratulations! We'll be contacting your schools soon to schedule the presentation. ♥
And I will also be speaking at:
- Project Hope School - Orange, CA
- Segerstrom Fundamental High School - Santa Ana, CA
- Canyon High School - Anaheim Hills, CA
- Academy of American Studies - Long Island City, NY
- Franklin Middle School - Franklin, TX